What You LearnDuring the PADI Divemaster program, you learn dive leadership skills through both classroom and independent study. You complete water skills and stamina exercises, as well as training exercises that stretch your ability to organize and solve problems as well as help others improve their scuba skills. You put this knowledge into action through a structured internship or series of practical training exercises.
What You Can TeachAfter becoming certified as a PADI Divemaster you will be authorized to:
- Supervise both training and non-training-related activities by planning, organizing and directing dives
- Assist a PADI Instructor during the training sessions for any PADI Diver course
- Conduct the PADI Skin Diver course and PADI Discover Snorkeling program
- Conduct the PADI Discover Local Diving experience
- Conduct the PADI Scuba Review program
- If qualified as a Discover Scuba Diving Leader, independently conduct the PADI Discover Scuba Diving program.
- Earn the PADI Digital Underwater Photographer Specialty Instructor rating to be able to teach the PADI Digital Underwater Photographer specialty.
- Independently guide Open Water Diver course students on the tour portion of Open Water Diver course during training Dives 2, 3 and 4 at a ratio of two student divers per certified divemaster.
- Accompany Open Water Diver students under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor during:
- surface swims to and from the entry/exit point and during navigational exercises
- when the instructor conducts a skill, such as an ascent or descent, a Divemaster can remain with other student divers (with an individual student or buddy team)
- Accompany student divers during Adventure Dives or Specialty training dives under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor.
- Conduct the PADI Seal Team Skin Diver Specialist AquaMission
- Conduct subsequent dives under an instructor’s indirect supervision for Discover Scuba Diving participants after participants have satisfactorily completed the first dive with a PADI Instructor.
- Teach Emergency First Response courses after successfully completing an Emergency First Response Instructor course.
The Scuba Gear You UseYou use all the basic scuba equipment and some scuba accessories such as a dive slate, dive knife, compass, dive watch, etc. It is highly recommended that you own all of your own scuba equipment, as familiarity with personal gear improves general scuba diving skills. You can find most everything at Aquatic Safaris.
The Learning Materials You NeedThe PADI Divemaster crewpak includes everything you’ll need to start the PADI Divemaster program. The complete set of materials includes:
- PADI Divemaster Manual
- Divemaster slates
- PADI Instructor Manual
- The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving – a comprehensive overview of diving physics, physiology, and equipment
- Scuba Tune-up Guidebook
- PADI Professional Log
- DSD Cue Cards
- PADI Pro Bag
- PADI Divemaster Application package
PrerequisitesTo take this course, you must be:
- 18 years old
- A PADI Advanced Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization)
- A PADI Rescue Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization)
- An Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care (or qualifying first aid and CPR training from another organization) course completion within the past 24 months.
- Have at least 40 dives to begin the course and 60 for certification
- Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement (PDF) signed by a physician within the last 12 months.
Upcoming Divemaster Classes
|Class:||Dates & Times:||Instructor||Cost:||Space
Includes DM Crew-Pak, pool sessions and charters.
Class: Jun 16
|Minimum age||18 years.|
|Equipment provided by student||Student is responsible for providing their own gear or can rent from Aquatic Safaris.|
|Services provided by Aquatic Safaris||Three charters for Open Water dives in the ocean aiding the instructor in certifying students, and for the mapping skill. Air fills used in training pool sessions and dives.|
|Course cost||$900 per student. A $400 deposit secures your class spot and gets you the learning materials.|
|Required books & materials||Deluxe Divemaster CrewPak – included in course fee.|